We are excited to announce that Mike Kapp has been hired as Head Coach of the youth program for the 2019 Spring season and beyond. Mike is a 2017 graduate of Boston University and an Essex alum who began rowing for he club in 2007 as a middle schooler.
Mike’s passion and enthusiasm for the sport led him to a successful and rewarding career both on the water and in the classroom. He rowed for BU’s Varsity Division 1 team for 4 years and ultimately served as a co-captain. Mike graduated from BU’s Business school with a degree in Finance.
Mike is excited to bring his passion, experience, and enthusiasm to the youth programs at Essex to help the development of young rowers. Enrollment for the Spring season is open now!
Notable Rowing Achievements Accolades:
As a Junior:
National & World Championships:
- Silver Medal at US Club Rowing National Championships in Junior B1x (2011)
- Silver Medal at US Club Rowing National Championship in Junior A1x (2012)
- 4th place at the Crash Bs Indoor World Championship (2012)
- Bronze Medal at the US Club Rowing National Championship in the Junior A1x, 2x and 4x (2013)
- US National Championship qualifier – Youth 8+ (2011, 2013)
As a BU Oarsman:
Division 1 National Championship:
- Bronze Medal at the IRA National Championship in the 2nd Varsity 8+ (2015)
- 4th place finish at the IRA National Championship in the Open 4+ (2014)
- Gold Medal at the Eastern Sprints Championship in the 4th Varsity 8+ (2014)
- Silver Medal at the Eastern Sprints Championship in the 2nd Varsity 8+ (2015)
- Grand Finalist at the Eastern Sprints Championship in the Varsity 8+ (2016)
- Bronze Medal at the Eastern Sprints Championship in the 2nd Varsity 8+ (2017)
*Mike was elected as Co-Captain his Senior year at Boston University*
As a Club Athlete (post-college career):
- Gold Medal at the Club National Championship in the Senior Coxed 4+ (2014)
- Silver Medal at the Club National Championship in the Senior Coxless 4- (2014)
Head of the Charles Regatta
- 2-time Champion of the Club 8+ event at the Head of the Charles Regatta (2017, 2018)
Mike and I are good friends and have spent a lot of time together both inside and outside of the Essex boathouse. Mike is undoubtedly the hardest worker I know, with a reputation for both his mental and physical perseverance and his ability to be personable and cordial while also being strong-willed. It’s what made him a natural leader on the Essex team, and what will make him a phenomenal head coach and program director.
Austin Drake, ERA Board Director